Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lies


My ex used to lie to me about all kinds of things.  Big things, little things, things that didn't really matter in the grand scheme of life.  But, he always thought I was stupid enough to believe him, or that I was too dumb to figure out he was lying.

Granted, he lied about a lot of things that I fell for, hook, line and sinker.  It took far too long for me to realize the depth of the lies he had told. 

The last few years, I got really good at telling when he was lying - usually it was when his lips were moving!  But seriously, he would like about stuff that I had seen him doing, and think he could convince me I was seeing things.

For example - he had quit smoking for a few months, then started sneaking smokes again.  I had quit smoking to make it easier for him, and I wasn't going back to it regardless of what he did.  For whatever reason he felt he had to lie to me and hide the smoking, probably so that I wouldn't nag him about it, but he would smoke where I could see him without him knowing it, and when I'd bust him, he'd deny it.  He would reek of cigarettes, but would claim it was because he was around smokers.  He had cigarettes in his tube sock one day when we were at the drug store and I walked up on him pulling his socks up, and he lied and said they belonged to the neighbor.  Seriously, he thought I was that stupid.

Lies hurt bad enough, but knowing you weren't worth the truth is the worst part.

No comments:

Post a Comment